Creating a Positive Workplace Culture
A large portion of our waking hours are spent at work. And with the pressures of competitive environments, increased workloads and faster technology, workplaces are a huge source of stress for many. While your employees’ workloads may be demanding, having a positive attitude can help create a healthy company culture. Follow the tips below to create a positive workplace culture:
- Encourage daily or weekly standup meetings among teams. You can allow your teams to choose how they spend their meetings – whether it’s a Monday morning brief on each person’s weekend or daily goal setting initiative. When your employees interact positively with one another, especially about non-work activities, it cultivates a more friendly, comfortable atmosphere.
- Promote activities outside the office. One way to do this is with a coffee card. HR can purchase a gift card from a local coffee shop that employees may use to take each other out. You can set certain standards so it is not overused, such as when existing employees wish to take a new hire out on their first day or when employees want to interact with colleagues outside their immediate team.
- Schedule one-on-one meetings between managers and their staff. Regular one-on-one meetings will help each employee feel heard and appreciated. These meetings can be casual check-ins or goal setting initiatives. By meeting one-on-one, managers can evaluate each employee’s attitude and identify whether they feel like part of the group.
- Have your employees actively engage in creating goals for themselves. Telling your employee what they should be doing is less meaningful for them than an honest discussion about how they are performing and how they can improve. Employees are typically very insightful when it comes to thinking of ways they can improve their own or their department’s workflow.
- Recognize effort. A manager should value hard work. When employee achievements go unrecognized, it can make them feel undervalued and unappreciated. Rewarding employees boosts morale for the company as a whole. When employees fall short of their goals, work closely alongside them, offering support.
How do you cultivate positivity in the workplace? Share in the comments below.