There are many benefits of cultivating a flexible workplace for both employees and employers. The days of promptly clocking in at 9 a.m. and out at 5 p.m. are fading away, and job seekers, especially Millennials, are more often looking for a workplace that offers a healthy work/life balance.
Below are several benefits of cultivating a flexible workplace:
- Employee investment. By offering flexibility and acknowledging that workers have lives outside the office, employees are more likely to feel respected and trusted. This leads to deeper commitment from your staff.
- Increased productivity. Numerous studies have shown that telecommuting improves productivity substantially. Over two-thirds of employers report increased productivity from telecommuters, with companies as diverse as JD Edwards, Best Buy, American Express and Dow Chemical showing productivity levels ranging from 20 percent – 43 percent higher.1
- Cost savings. In addition to the money through increased productivity, employers also realize cost savings via lower overhead saved costs (e.g., office supplies and equipment, coffee expenses), higher retention rates (employees who work from home report higher job satisfaction and company loyalty) and fewer sick days. The annual cost savings per remote employee is an estimated $11,000.2
- Eco-friendliness. Telecommuting is an environmentally-friendly solution for companies looking to adopt “green” values. Eliminating a daily commute reduces pollution and greenhouse gas emissions and results in less electricity and waste.3
- Round-the-Clock Value. Employees who take home work are never truly off the clock. When they set down their work, they are still open to inspiration and new ideas, and are more likely to get a jump on them as they come when working in a flexible environment.
How has flexibility in your workspace worked or not worked for you? Share in the comments below.
1 Analytics, G. (2017). Pros and Cons – Global Workplace Analytics. Globalworkplaceanalytics.com. Retrieved 27 September 2017, from http://globalworkplaceanalytics.com/pros-cons.
2 Writer, D. (2014). 5 Ways Telecommuting Saves Employers Money. Entrepreneur. Retrieved 27 September 2017, from https://www.entrepreneur.com/article/235285.
3 5 Benefits of Telecommuting For Employers and Employees – 1MFWF. (2017). 1 Million for Work Flexibility. Retrieved 27 September 2017, from https://www.workflexibility.org/5-benefits-of-telecommuting-for-employers-and-employees/.